HEVC Scalability Extension (SHVC)
Already during the initial phase of HEVC, multi-layer extentions were planned and the proper hooks were included into the base specification.
The Scalabilty extension of HEVC (SHVC) provides support for spatial, SNR and color gamut scalability. It is has been designed as a high-level syntax only extension to allow reuse of existing decoder components.
SHVC is included in the second version of HEVC, which has been finalized in October 2014.
- JCT-VC Documents
- ITU-T Recommendation H.265: High efficiency video coding
- ISO/IEC 23008-2: High efficiency video coding
- Directory of publicly available standards at ISO
- Common SHM Test Conditions and Software Reference Configurations (JCTVC-Q1009)
SHVC reference software
The SHVC reference software is maintained in an own Subversion repository. Another repository exists for the Metadata file extractor. Please use a Subversion client to access the repository links directly or use the source browser for web browser access.
- SHM software repository
- Metadata file extractor software repository for H.264/AVC base layer usage with SHVC software
- SHM software repository (source browser)
SHVC reference software documentation
Specification and software bugs related to SHVC can be reported using the SHVC bug tracker:
- J. M. Boyce, Y. Ye, J. Chen, and A. K. Ramasubramonian, "Overview of SHVC: Scalable Extensions of the High Efficiency Video Coding Standard", IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, Vol. 26, Issue 1, pp. 20-34, Sept. 2015
- G. J. Sullivan, J. M. Boyce, Y. Chen, J.-R. Ohm, C. A. Segall, and A. Vetro, "Standardized Extensions of High Efficiency Video Coding", IEEE Journal on Selected Topics in Signal Processing, Vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 1001-1016, Dec. 2013
- Jens-Rainer Ohm
- Gary J. Sullivan
SHVC specification editors
- Jianle Chen
- Jill Boyce
- Miska M. Hannuksela
- Gary J. Sullivan
- Ye-Kui Wang
- Yan Ye
SHM software coordinators
- Vadim Seregin
- Yong He